01 May, 2012

Midwest Tornado Relief


Hi everyone, my name is Jasmine Yeboah-Boahene. I have been a part of Tzu Chi since 2011. I love what Tzu Chi is all about, especially the motto “We don't give, unless we touch you.” I find this very important because, there are a lot of organizations out there that you give your money to and you're not exactly sure where that money goes.

On March 31, 2012, I was able to go down to Kentucky to help with a disaster relief. When we see these types of things on the television, it is a sad thing. Being there was the first time I've ever seen what tornado could do to a home, the family, and the community. These people lost everything. I was just happy that Tzu Chi was able to help them. It's important that we continue to help others in need, because no one chooses where a disaster is going to hit. Who knows? Next time, this tornado could happen in Columbus. Would there be an organization to help me and my family in need?

Sitting down and talk to families was a heartfelt experience, each family had their own story of what happened that day. One family I talked with lived in a trailer. Everyone knows that trailers don't have the same support as a house might have. They told me that they had to get on the floor and cover themselves with a mattress. Could you imagine such thing, crouching on the ground only protecting yourself with a mattress as the trailer shakes and rambles? I could only wonder what those people went through.

Tzu Chi was able to provide these families with recyclable blankets in a kit and money to help them get back on their feet. If you could see the faces on these family members, it would have brightened up your heart. The feeling was irreplaceable; it was as if we, Tzu Chi have given these families everything in the world. They were so grateful and I was honored that I had the privilege to say I am a part of the Tzu Chi Organization. I hope that in the future, we don't experience these types of disasters. If we do, I know that Tzu Chi will always be willing to help others and I will be right there with them. As it says in the bible, “Do not forget your friends or your father's friends if you are in trouble, don't ask your brother for help; a neighbor near-by can help you more than a brother who is far away.”

Author: Jasmine Yeboah-Boahene
Photo Credit: Bornain Chiu (裘柏年師伯)