27 March, 2016

2016 Midwest Tzu Ching Retreat Reflection - Amy

2016 Chicago Midwest Retreat Reflection – Amy Chiu

Every TC camp has a common theme, no matter what chapter is hosting it, when it is, or what regions are attending. The feeling of being one big family is always present, even among complete strangers. This year’s Chicago Midwest Retreat was no different. From the arrival to the closing ceremony, there is a sense of unity and belonging, like you have returned home after a long trip away.


Even though I am a TC baby, there are still many volunteers that I meet every year at camps who I have never met before yet we get along as if we are long lost friends who are seeing each other after a long time apart. I believe that TC creates an atmosphere that allows us to create good affinities with each other by providing us with a common ground: compassion towards others. Some might argue that the delicious food provided might also impact our happiness and content but I disagree. The food was amazing but you could easily go to a restaurant and order what you wanted to eat. Everyone is able to get along with each other because the attendees and supporting staff members are not strangers to each other. I don’t mean a literal sense for stranger, obviously the majority of us have never met before yet we are able to look past our differences and work together to learn and make a bigger impact on the world. With all that has been said, I am truly grateful to have the opportunity this year to attend Chicago’s Midwest Retreat as an attendee rather than staff as I had the chance to sit in classes and learn more about other’s thoughts about walking on the TC path and the Dharma. I look forward to all future adventures that I know for a fact that I will have as I walk on the TC path.