20 January, 2016

2015 International Tzu Ching Officer Camp + Global TCCA Day - Catherine

12/27 International Tzu Ching Officer Camp + Global TCCA Day
Reflection by Catherine Lee, OSU Tzu Ching Social Media Chair
           
Has this camp experience brought any growth or differences within you?
Although I have always known that knowing Chinese is important, I have now truly realized the difficulties of not being very fluent in listening, reading, and speaking Chinese. The translation devices are very helpful and I’m grateful that I was able to use one at camp, though during the classes I still tried to listen to the Chinese and not the translation, so that I can get used to hearing it more and more. I feel that through this camp experience, I was able to practice and improve my Chinese listening and speaking skills. Although in my group we spoke English, I was able to practice speaking Chinese with other Tzu Ching and SG and SB. The opportunity to also present about the online dharma study that OSU participates in also helped. However, the presentation also gave me another challenge which is reading Chinese—for my skill in that is far worse than my speaking abilities. Even so, I’ve become more determined to improve both speaking and reading Chinese now after the camp! Chinese is one of the most difficult languages, but I am fortunate to still have the ability to speak it and understand most of what is spoken.

After attending this camp, what have you learned at the camp that you did not know before? 
I was able to hear a lot about what other countries do, and also learn more about certain events and disasters that occurred around the world—specifically how relief was done in the country. I remember Kevin XZ’s experience in Nepal, and Isaac XZ talking about Syria, and the lecture on the Formosa Fun Coast Explosion. Although I had learned about the unfortunate events from the news and Master’s Life Wisdoms, the classes on them were able to give a deeper perspective on the tragedies that occurred.

Groups 18-20 with Monica XJ and Tim XZ
The Tzu Ching Alumni talk we had on the second day of camp also gave me more perspective on what it is like to work in Taiwan beside Master Cheng Yen, and also why the alumni we talked to wanted to work for Tzu Chi. Hearing their own stories about how they became involved in Tzu Chi and what struggles they have had in life was very inspiring.

What are the things that you learned or felt inspired at the camp that you would like to bring to the US to inspire others or implement?
At the camp, I heard so much about different countries’ volunteer activities. In the Philippines, they have a recycling event out of their many others. In my local chapter, we have a park cleaning that does promote recycling, but I wonder now if there are ways that we can create a recycling activity, maybe similar to Tzu Chi’s recycling centers and sort out recyclables. Recently, I learned that in our university, they no longer recycle items that were put into recycling bins. A lot of times, items that have food residue are still put into recycling bins, and it is to the point that these items are no longer recycled at all. I feel like this is such a shame—and we should try to let people know what really is allowed to be recycled, and what isn’t.

Going along with recycling, I began to think a lot about sustainable living. The 5Rs include Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Repair, and I believe the last should be Refuse. I think one part that we could remember to focus on is refuse. Refuse to use the plastic grocery bags, refuse to drink a lot of canned soda and drinks, and more. I used to buy small 8 oz. juice everyday back when I was still living in dorms, and I realized that it is such a waste that I am buying a drink to use once and then throw away. I feel motivated now to really pay more attention to what I am using, and try to reduce the amount of waste I produce.

Your most touching moments at this camp.
One of the most touching moments I had at camp was when we had our “A Cup of Wisdom” class with the Jing Si Shifu. During the conversation we had with De Wen Shifu, there was a moment when she addressed me—specifically—if I wanted to become a commissioner someday. I don’t really recall how we got to that point, but I do remember my response. I told Shifu that I wasn’t sure, because I was uncertain about graduate school, uncertain about my career, so I didn’t know for sure. I never really considered it seriously, and never asked my parents what it was like to be a commissioner or how does one become a commissioner. Deep down I knew that it’s a good thing to do, to become a commissioner for Tzu Chi. 
Groups 18 and 19 with Shifu.
But I was still not sure, not 100% willing to commit. After speaking, Shifu calmly told me that in life, there are many uncertainties. It’s uncertain if I will attend graduate school and where I would attend. She said that the reason why I choose to become a commissioner should not be because of my parents, because they will eventually leave someday. She also I should not choose to become a commissioner because of Master Cheng Yen—she too, will eventually leave someday. Shifu said that I need to find my own reason for myself. At that point, I felt moved. When Shifu said that, I was moved I realized once more how it’s important to care and make decisions for myself. Of course, input from others can still be considered, but it’s important to find my own reason why I want to do things like become a commissioner, and don’t find reason in others. Although I know that being a Tzu Chi commissioner is good, I’m still on the path to finding the reason why I would become one in the future.

What have you enjoyed the most at this camp? 
I really enjoyed meeting all of the Tzu Ching from different countries, and their warmth and kindness. It is also always nice seeing familiar faces again! This is something I enjoy about all camps I have attended, and it’s the reason why I want to keep going back to them. Everyone comes from different countries, unfamiliar with each other at first. 
Group 18!
By the end of the camp, everyone feels sad to leave. It’s always amazing how we can become so close to people within a few days, and it is always sad to be apart from these new friends, especially since we are separated by oceans and great stretches of land. I always feel a great affinity with the people I am at the camp with, and I am always so grateful that we are able to be at the same place at the same time. Whenever I leave, I always have hopes of meeting everyone again.

What was your most memorable thing at the camp?
One of the most memorable things from camp was when we walked from the Jing Si Tang to the Jing Si Abode. We woke up early around 3:30AM and got ready to leave at around 4AM. It took us around 2 hours to walk all the way there. As I walked, I felt surprisingly cheerful, and maintained this cheerful mood throughout the walk. At that time, I realized how enjoyable the walk was. If I had been in a sour mood, complaining in my head about having to walk so much, I would have wasted energy on those thoughts, and my body would not feel happy either. Instead, I was able to enjoy getting exercise, see the sun begin to rise, and look forward to our day working at the Abode, which is one of my favorite things to do.

Another thing I found memorable was that doing nothing is like taking a step back. I was reminded about how when we make a vow, we do it because we want to do something, or do something better. If we take no actions, it is like we are taking a step back from this initial vow. I found this lesson to stand out, and I realized that there are so many things that I still need to do, and things I need to improve. When it comes to working towards these goals, I cannot do nothing, because I won’t be making a progress—and making no progress is like going further and further away from your goals.

After attending this camp, what do you feel differently for your responsibility as a Tzu Ching officer?
As an officer, I know it is important to perform my responsibilities and also help other officers as well. After attending camp, I realize how important it is to take every chance and use our time wisely. It’s important to let others know about our club, and have more members join who are dedicated. Joining Tzu Chi to volunteer and help others is always good, but it’s also important to realize that cultivating ourselves is something that we are always doing, and although we do this cultivation through helping others, we still must cultivate ourselves and watch Master’s teachings every chance, every day we can.