12 April, 2015

2015 New Year's Blessing Ceremony Reflection - Catherine

On the morning of our New Year’s Blessing Ceremony, heavy snowfall hit Columbus. I remember the drive to our destination to be a slow and careful one. The highway hadn’t been cleared yet since it was an early Sunday morning, and we could hardly see any of the lines that marked the different lanes. So slowly but steadily, we were on our way.

When we got there, a lot of snow was yet to be shoveled, and there was probably 3-5 inches of snow on the ground, and it was still snowing. We unloaded the truck and cars with everything that we needed, and we quickly worked together to set everything up. I was there to do whatever SGs and SBs wanted me to do. Sometimes it was setting up the chairs, and other times it was sitting down to fold napkins for our guests. Later we had rehearsal and we went through the entire program once and that was it!

After lunch, our guests started coming and I was surprised by the number of people that showed up. We were worried that some people would decide not to leave the house today because of the road conditions. At that time, it was still snowing. This was also the first time I invited my two friends who were not involved in Tzu Chi, and I was glad that they were able to make it! (Gan en Hsiang-Ting XJ for giving them a ride from campus!!!)

During the program, I was able to watch the year in review video and I felt very moved by what Tzu Chi volunteers were doing all over the world. It made me think again why I wanted to stay in Tzu Chi, because of the compassion of every volunteer I see and learn about. I also began to think that it is amazing that because of Tzu Chi, many people get to try things they would not normally do. My dad is not someone who stands on a stage and performs—but I think he did a really good job in Jing Si Jing Si. I believe this is the same for almost all SGs, SBs, Tzu Shaos, and Tzu Chings. I was not in Jing Si Jing Si so I was able to see the entirety of the sign language and movements. I feel like all of the time and effort every volunteer put into program showed right on that stage. Next year, I hope I will be able to participate in the New Year’s Blessing Ceremony, as well as invite more of my friends to join and see what Columbus Tzu Chi is doing each year, and what Tzu Chi is doing around the world.


Gan en,
Catherine Lee