12 April, 2015

2015 Midwest Tzu Ching Retreat Reflection - Frank

This was my second time going to the Tzu Ching Midwest Retreat. To be honest, I was a little worried about going, because I sometimes get irrational fears that maybe I won't fit in at camp. I hadn't met other Tzu Ching in a year. Would anyone remember me? Looking back, it seems like a childish middle-school-kid way of thinking, but I wouldn't want to miss out on bonding with anyone. Two and a half days at camp goes by very quickly. As such, I want to maximize the amount of time I can spend enjoying it with people from other regions. Of course, everything always turns out okay.

During that Friday night I arrived I was immediately welcomed by old faces from the Michigan and the local Chicago chapters. There seems to be an unspoken tradition of clapping to those arriving at the Chicago headquarters, and this time was no different. After a long road trip, it was very comforting and relaxing to see all the friendly faces welcoming everyone.

If I had to describe this camp with one word I would use “fluid”. More experienced Tzu Chi members will speak of dealing with setbacks as an inherent part of being in Tzu Chi, but from my experience at camp there didn't seem to be any major issues that could be considered “curve balls”. Meeting friends, waking up on time, staying awake... I felt it was all easier now more so than ever before. Even speaking to strangers in Chinatown and doing a rushed three hour practice for the ceremony on the final day felt relatively painless.

I think experience accumulated from attending previous camps helped me get engaged quickly this year. I encourage everyone to attend more and more retreats. Like most activities in Tzu Chi, attending retreats is not a one-and-done ordeal. There are always more ideas to learn, more people to meet, more fun to be had. I am grateful to have had the chance to go this year, and thank you, dear reader, for taking the time to read this reflection.


-Frank Xu