19 August, 2015

2015 YA@UN and 2015 TCCA Leadership Conference in Houston Reflection - Michael

Left: Peggy Hsieh (UC Berkeley),
Right: Michael Lee (OSU)
The last two weeks have been incredible. If you had asked me 4 years ago if I was going to continue TC in college, I would have downright shut you down and said no. However, after attending the TCCA leadership conference that same year in 2011, my life was changed forever. I made a vow to become vegetarian and although near the beginning of this summer I was still wavering whether or not I wanted to stay vegetarian, I think I decided to stay. I slowly became more and more involved in TC and experienced the feeling in having joy in helping others. Throughout the past four years attending camps, I met more and more incredible people, more and more dedicated people, and made more and more people who I can consider my family even if we aren't super close. Tzu Chi not only started to make me conscience of my choices, but it also became my anchor to this world through my mental struggles in high school. My parents would always tell me that even if people or things I loved were gone, TC and the people I met in TC will always be there physically or spiritually.
Go Tzuperheroes!

Saying goodbye to the people you have met and have deep discussions with is really hard, and it was even harder these last two weeks. First was the Youth Assembly at the United Nations. Spending six days with a small group of volunteers , learning how to network, talk to strangers, learning leadership skills, etc. Really lets you be able to get close to some people. Although you get the feeling here or there that some people might not like you that much, it was still incredible. Right after the Youth Assembly ended, I was blessed to have been able to have hung out with not only the friends I made, but also some new faces of the locals that lived there. However, it was a bittersweet four days afterwards, as people not attending the TCCA leadership conference afterwards slowly went home, which resulted in our group getting smaller. Even so, being in New York City for those four days really rekindled my passion for the city and the urban lifestyle.

Next came the TCCA leadership conference. I don't know why, but everytime I attend TCCA, I am always inspired. I remember my first conference, I was so scared because I didn't know a lot of people. But the amazing thing about Tzu Chi is that no matter where you go, if you are with TC people you don't even know, there is an amazing familial feeling and you feel comfortable almost instantly.
Group 2 members
Conference at Houston this year was no different. There I was, among my TC family learning, getting inspired, and connecting with other people, whether it be new friends or old friends. The days went really quickly and soon, there would be today which was the hardest, in which I had to say goodbye. Goodbye to all the people I met, the family members I had only a few days to spend with, and the close group that went to UN and then conference. However, I know that one day we will meet again, as long as we all stay on the TC path.

I've told a lot of people this, but if not for Tzu Chi, my life today would be completely different, and not in a good way. These last two weeks have taught me a lot about myself. I have a lot of issues with myself and may or may not be the best child or friend to some people. However, if I am able to change myself for the better, develop a better relationship with my parents,and continue to be inspired by others, I will be able to reach my ultimate goal which is to inspire others. And through the action of inspiring others, I will be able to help more and more people in this world.

Thank you to everyone who made these last two weeks amazing.

-Michael Lee